port and resort town on isthmus connecting Kintyre to mainland.
Overlooked by 14th-century ruined stronghold of Robert Bruce.
Tarbert's main tourist attraction is An Tairbeart Heritage Centre
on the Campbeltown Road. Tarbert
is a narrow peninsula in the far West of Scotland, which extends
a distance of approximately 30 miles, from Tarbert in the North
to the Mull of Kintyre in the South. Along the middle or spine
of Kintyre, runs a line of hills which rise to a maximum height
of approximately 2000 feet. Along the West coast runs a narrow
fertile strip of land which is exposed to the frequent Atlantic
gales. The Eastern coast is more fertile, being protected as it
is by the line of hills. Prior to modern roads being constructed,
Kintyre remained relatively isolated from the rest of Scotland,
access being gained from the sea.
isles of Arran and Bute and the peninsula of Kintyre have long
been playgrounds for the Scots, particularly the Glaswegians (
residents of the City of Glasgow ). The topography of each island
resembles that of a miniature Scotland, a mountainous north and
rolling, pastoral south. Outdoor pursuits include walking, fishing,
golf and sailing, while indoor entertainment can be found in Brodick,
Campbeltown and Rothesay.
Favourite island retreat of Glaswegians ( residents of Glasgow
), once popular with Scottish monarchs. Fine mountain scenery
in north contrasts with lowlands of south. Robert Bruce landed
at Lochranza from Ireland in 1306.
Brodick croft farm contains a museum of Arran history, geology
and archaeology. Authentic rooms exhibit spinning wheels, wooden
cradle and other domestic items. Geology section includes amethysts
found on local beaches. Picnic area/tearoom.
Museum Web Site
Arran's main port set by sandy Brodick Bay. Goat Fell, at 2866ft,
dominates mountain trail. Views of bay and surrounding peaks from
String Road, to west.
Castle and Country Park
The site of this ancient seat of the Dukes of Hamilton was a fortress
even in Viking times. The 13th-century fortified tower was developed
in the 16th century and extended by Cromwell in the 17th century.
The foundation stone for the main Victorian extension was laid
in 1844 by Princess Marie of Baden, wife of the 11th Duke of Hamiltion.
Her granddaughter, Lady Mary Louise, 6th Duchess of Montrose,
lived in the castle until 1957. Some furniture dates from the
17th century, with superb paintings, porcelain and silver collected
by the Hamiltons and by William Beckford, whose daughter was married
to the 10th Duke of Hamilton. There is also a collection of sporting
pictures and trophies. The woodland garden, begun in 1923 by the
Duchess, is now home to an acclaimed rhododendron collection.
Rolling hills in north descend to quiet sandy beaches. Island
separated from mainland by narrow waterway called Kyles of Bute.
Popular with Clydesiders.
of Argyll and Bute
Former Celtic capital of Dalriada kingdom, now sailing centre.
Stone buildings mark past prosperity from whaling, fishing, coal
and distilling. Town centre has richly carved Celtic cross.
Village situated on hill above small harbour. Remains of Aird
Castle and 1500 BC fort lie nearby. Walks through 16,000 acre
estate have splendid views of Arran and 2366ft Bein Bharrain.
Forested hills surround 1870 home of novelist and children's writer,
Naomi Mitchison. It has a wild garden with pond.
Glenbarr Abbey, Gothic-style home of the Macalister chieftain,
dates from 1700. Museum includes historic weapons, photographs
The Clan Alasdair had four separate branches: the MacAlasdairs
of Loup (the chief's family), of Tarbert, and of Glenbarr, and
the Alexanders of Menstrie, who changed their name when they migrated
to the Lowlands. The Tarbert family lost its lands in 1746, and
although members of that family still reside in the area, the
Tarberts as a viable branch of the clan ceased to exist at that
time. The Loup family acquired substantial lands elsewhere, sold
its Kintyre lands in 1795 to pay off debts, and settled first
in Ayrshire and later in England, where the current chief, William
McAlester, lives. Of the four branches, only the Glenbarr family
still holds its ancestral lands in Kintyre; they reside at Glenbarr
Abbey, where they operate the Macalister Clan Centre and welcome
MacAlasdairs from all over the world.
Macalister Centre Web Site
Village at foot of 2866ft Goat Fell. Now-silted harbour was built
in 1882 to ship locally quarried lime-stone. Walk coast to Fallen
Rocks or climb to High Corrie hamlet, birthplace of the book publisher
Site of old Dunaverty Castle, former Macdonald stronghold. A garrison
of 300 were besieged here in 1647 by Covenanters, supporters of
English parliament. Every defender was slain on surrender. Known
as 'Blood Rock'.
Gaelic for 'God's Island', area scattered with fort remains and
standing stones. Throughout history, the isle has been noted for
its fertile soil; from 1700 until 1850 it was treeless, until
the owner planted the woods around Achamore House. Its value in
terms of agriculture is reflected throughout its history - good
land provided men and women who could carry arms and take part
in the islands battles, with the means to survive and prosper.
About the time of the fall of the Lord of the Isles, in 1493,
Gigha came into the possession of the family of MacNeill of Taynish.
The family fought many bitter disputes with the Macdonald Clan
to hold onto the island until finally selling it in 1790 to another
branch of the Clan Neill, the MacNeills of Colonsay. Thereafter
the island has had many owners, the Scarletts, Allens, Hamers
- until in 1944 it was sold to Sir James Horlick, when the story
of the creation of the great gardens of Achamore began.
St Molaise reputedly lived in a cave here and died in AD 639,
after accepting 30 diseases at once to avoid purgatory. Visit
this cave by boat and see runic inscriptions.
Quiet hamlet with hotel facing sandy beaches broken by rocky outcrops.
Ruined medieval castle to east. Views of lighthouse on island
of Pladda, and Ailsa Craig on horizons. Local seal colony.
Torrylin, a Neolithic chambered cairn, lies south-west of Kilmory
village. Inside were found skeletal remains and a flint knife.
Beautiful bay and village at the North end of Arran. Robert Bruce
is said to have lived here in 1306, when he began his struggle
for independence. Lochranza Castle built in 13th century, rebuilt
in the 17th century. Shore or boat fishing.
Remains of six 15ft Bronze Age stone circles lie scattered within
a mile, south of Machrie. Traces of Stone Age hut circles and
Village situated in one of the most idyllic parts of the Kintyre
peninsula. With it's spectacular panoramic views out over the
Atlantic Ocean there are few more beautiful sunsets to be seen
anywhere in the world. Corn-coloured sands run for 3 1/2 miles
Club and Course.
Southern point of Kintyre Peninsula. Lighthouse built here in
1788. One of the most treacherous points for shipping on the Scottish
Scottish kings once holidayed at now-ruined Royal Stuart castle,
which overlooks this popular resort. See Bute history museum and
magnificent floral displays at Ardencraig Gardens. You can also
visit the Post Office Museum in Bishop Street which is free. Swimming
from beaches; fishing rods available for hire.
Abbey built 1160 by Samerled, liberator of Argyll and Kintyre
from Viking control. Tombstones carved between 1300 and 1560 depicting
armoured warriors, priests and war galleys. Tower of Saddell Castle
stands south-east of village.
Remains of chapel built 1100 and named after Celtic saint who
founded monastery here in AD 575. Fine example of Norman arch
Remains of late medieval chapel contain recessed canopied tombs
with carved effigies of Walter the Steward, his wife Alice and
Deserted in 1823 when villagers were evicted and emigrated to
Canada, leaving today's scattered ruins. Track leads to scenic
Village dominated by remains of 13th-century Campbell Castle.
Fortress abandoned in 1700.
St Columba stepped onto local beach in 6th century to convert
Picts to Christianity.
you would like to visit this area as part of a highly personalized
small group tour of my native Scotland please e-mail me:
To Portrait of Scotland